Monday, November 28, 2016

Knit Together



A WITNESS BY LINDA WALTON

From a very early age, I began enjoying crafting and the process of ‘creating’ something special. My first knitting project was a pair of wristlets for my grandmother. Although they were gaudy, I knitted them with the intent of pleasing her.

I could not have imagined then that my knitting skills would evolve nor that they would interweave so well with my spirituality and desire to give back to others. Now I knit to create items for gifts, silent auctions, the Sisters of Bethany Prayer Shawl Ministry, which also knits hats for newborns. I especially like the idea of blessing the gift and giving it in honor of a newborn, as a tangible sign of God’s handiwork in their lives and life to come. At Christ Church, I have witnessed the importance of focusing on and developing a child’s faith, and believe this ministry is a wonderful way to begin.

Not only do I get the pleasure of seeing people wear my creations, but I also enjoy the gift of fellowship with other knitters in our congregation. We share yarn, patterns, lessons learned and ideas for our knitting or crocheting. When I am alone, I find knitting keeps me occupied while I watch TV, travel, or sit in some obnoxiously long and tedious meeting or teleconference!

I love to watch colors and different textures merge together to become something beautiful and useful. God knit us together in our mother’s womb, and my knitting joins me together with friends and recipients in the Christ Church community.

*This story originally appeared in the April 2014 print issue of Sharing Our Faith. It is reprinted here with a video recorded at the most recent meeting on January 26, 2017.

For more information about the Sisters of Bethany Prayer Shawl Ministry, please contact Rev. Darren Steadman

No comments:

Post a Comment