Tuesday, February 11, 2020

A little bit of Heaven on Earth

BY ZOË MACGILL

The youth choir and I recently had the opportunity to travel to St. John’s Episcopal Church in West Point, VA. This was our second year of going to serve the congregation there, along with other people around town, and I absolutely loved it.

When we arrived on Saturday, after a filling lunch provided by some ladies from the congregation, we headed to the Good Neighbor Center food pantry to help out. The Director of the Center, Frances, explained to us how they are a joint ministry of several local, inter-denominational churches that serve the folks in and around West Point that need monthly assistance with food as we sorted the many boxes of canned goods. While the pantry was small, Christ Church donated nearly 100 pounds of food, and it’s always so rewarding to know that even our little bit of service will go a long way for those in need.

On Sunday morning, we led music during worship at St. John’s, relishing in the classical beauty and sonorous acoustics of their sanctuary. I know we touched the hearts of many attendees, and this was made clear when one sweet woman came up to me afterward and told me she “hoped that’s what heaven will sound like.”

I’m so grateful to have had this experience and I’m so glad everyone in the choir enjoyed it as much as I did. I’m grateful for community, friendship that feels like family, staying on the gorgeous York River, and seeing Jesus in all the little details.

Thank you so much for your prayers, support, and encouragement as we embarked on this trip; it meant the world to us and we’re so thankful we could go!

No comments:

Post a Comment